Yes folks another year has come and gone and I still remain cynical, slightly bitter with a dash of sweetness and an all-round snob. It is amazing that throughout this year with all the war, murders/deaths, pregnancies(underage and all), fights, underage lap dances with Akon and sex videos (hey Kim Kardashian…hmmm.thanks), all I ever found to complain about was customer service.. Hmm guess I have my priorities in order.
At the end of 2007, I know have two less bar/restaurants that I think I can go to without the risk of the waiters spitting in my food, but then again, their food and service sucked big time anyway. It is not that I was rude but that I don’t appreciate getting shoddy service then expect me to leave a tip.
J. Malones in is the main culprit with this. Yes I’m naming names. There is a hobbit type girl there who along with her tall equally slow male counterpart seem to dislike me in some way. If they happen to be my servers I have to literally call them to get my drink refilled. How hard is it to keep grapefruit juice coming? I mean you see plates of food all around me but u don’t think I deserve to get a refill?
Anyway, it culminated one night in me just turning to her apart she rolled her eyes at me just one time too often that night and I said…” Look just do yuh job and get me the bill!!!”. She looked at me in disgust and proceeded to ignore me after that. I told the people I was with to get up and leave since she wasn’t coming with the bill. They all walked out leaving me there and as soon as I was about to do so myself..lo and behold..the bill came. Hmmm I wonder why……
Why the attitude if you are just serving wings and burgers? Come now…..
Wait, please don’t leave with the impression that I am rude to all servers…Oh Hell NO!!! I respect that profession. I just can’t stand bad service and the attitude that you are doing me a favor by serving me. Sigh…. I only get that in Trinidad…no wait…Barbados too….sigh… only MY people.
Anyway, I digressed a bit.
This year has been filled with a lot of great moments though some have left me a bit down. Let me recap a few:
1. Facebook aka Crackbook aka Macobook became a serious addiction. Still is but I can control it more or less. Please I just checked it because msn messenger told me I had a message.
2. Kaieteur Falls Guyana – I am not an adventurous type person but I’m so glad I went to these falls. Guyana is an AMAZING country.
3. BARCELONA!!!!! – Nuff said
4. Did a radio ad for Bmobile ICC Cricket (….Stacey I’m stumped”)
5. Filmed scenes for an upcoming TV show in Trinidad (“The Reef”). Hope I don’t get cut out of it…LOL. I hope I don’t suck as an actor in it.
6. Attempted to join a choir twice but work prevented that on both occasions.
7. Stacey Leigh got married this year and to someone I think appreciates her a great deal. Here’s to a long happy life with Chris and to many more trips to Nandos and Pizza Papagone should I be there or not…LOL….I miss Nandos..
8. Got braces. The space in my top front teeth was widening. So I needed to torture myself in my old age by not being able to bite into stuff for two years. I have to cut up my food like a baby. I get full faster now but to even eat a peanut butter sandwich I have to break it up. I can’t bite into it at all. How sad is that?
9. Still am an amateur at love. Had my heart ripped apart on return from my vacation and in that split second I scolded a friend for no reason now she isn’t even talking to me….Jeu —Ah REAL Sorry. It was real bad timing when you saw me.
10. Got rid of some excess baggage. I lost over 20 pounds during this year. Now comes the final ten. Hopefully I will be less than 200 lbs by the end of 2008. Actually I WILL be less than 200 lbs…
11. Didn’t go to church as often. Actually, very little. Will surely fix that in the New Year.
12. Reconnected with a very good old friend that I used the corniest line on in the middle of town once… I told her “I didn’t mean to turn you on” She stopped crying at that point and just laughed at me……She’s all grown up now and a mommy and devoted wife and has not lost an ounce of her humor and magic that could brighten anyone’s day.
This year also wasn’t even good for me music-wise. I take comfort in music. I relish finding that new artiste or hearing a new song that just takes you to another world. I bought only 52 CDs this year (75 CDs last year) and within that mix there are so many disappointments. Kelly Clarkson and Melissa Etheridge’s albums left me wondering why, while Jill Scott, Amy Winehouse and Beverly Knight renewed my faith. Seal and Prince, well the jury is still out on those albums.
My Top Albums for 2007
- Voice: The Best of Beverly Knight
- Jill Scott: The Real Thing: Words & Sounds Vol 3
- Amy Winehouse: Back To Black
- Chrisette Michele: I Am
- Happy Feet Soundtrack
- Kes The Band : Lion
Songs for 2007
· Lion –Kes The Band
· Raizon – Reach
· Chrisette Michele – Best Of Me
· Joss Stone – Bruised But Not Broken
· Mutya Buena – Wonderful (Thanks Matt for this one)
· Beverly Knight – Keep This Fire Burning
· Macy Gray – Finally Made Me Happy
· Kelly Clarkson – Be Still
· John Lennon – Just Like Startin’ Over
The Year in Movies feared a bit better. Elizabeth: The Golden Age wasn’t as terrific as I thought given that I had seen a better Helen Mirren version of it on HBO but Cate Blanchett can act her way out of a paper bag for my part. Spiderman 3 bored me to no end while Happy Feet and Hairspray had me tapping my toes when I least expected it. It also turns out that Will Smith can really act and that Denzel is a better bad guy than a good guy. Sleeper Hits for me were Hott Fuzz, Pan’s Labyrinth, 300, Superbad, Knocked up and Bounrne Ultimatum.
There were enough movies to roll my eyes over and some made me say one of my favorite phrases: “Well that is two hours of my life I will never get back”
Here are some of those movies that sucked the life force out of me:
- Smokin’ Aces
- Ghost Rider
- The Last Mimzy
- Rush Hour 3
- Georgia Rule
- This Is England
- The Ex
- Delta Farce (didn’t even get past the first 5 minutes of this movie so my life force was spared)
Looking back on the year, I did have a lot of fun. I thank people like Cindy, Stacey Leigh, Ian Chin, Clint, Matt and Sheldon for bearing with me and challenging me to be better. Coming down to the end of the year, I got really introspective and withdrew from most public life…ha ha ha ha ha ha (me thinks I’m a celebrity).
All that happened is that after my heartbreak and vacation, I realized that I’m 34 and still single and in no way settled in life. I have accomplished a lot more than most people but then again I’m not in competition with them. I’m in competition with ME and boy is it a tough fight!!! I find that nothing satisfies me anymore and I keep looking for the next adrenaline rush (it has been slow in coming). I don’t think it’s another mid-life crisis but decisions need to be made as to how long I am going to be a rolling stone.
Anyway, here’s to 2007. It has been good to me. I embrace all the challenges and adventures and overall good times that I know 2008 will bring. Here’s to love, life and good memories forever. Thank God for friends and family (the good and the bad).
I do promise to write more on this blog in the New Year now that my obsession with Facebook has been contained.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!!!!