Not that my lists matter in the grand scheme of things but here is how my 2012 went in terms of movies, music television and books.
MUSIC – ALBUMS
I bought over 50 albums this year and it is sad to say but i barely listened to music this year. I don’t know what had me so distracted but i felt as if nothing much was moving me and this year’s crop of tunes were no help. There were alot of cool songs but when it came to albums, well let’s say, i will be buying less and less albums as the years go by and just more songs
- Pink – Truth About Love: Pink ROCKS!! She kicks ASS! And this album is a gem amongst the drivel of bad albums I had this year. Try, The Great Escape, and Slut Like Me are always on repeat.
- Emelie Sande – Our Version of Events : While I still believe this album chronicles a break up in all it stages. It is still a refreshing sound from this artist. “Clown” is my favourite song.
- Robert Glasper Experiment – Black Radio: Recommended by a friend and loved for life by me. This refreshing Jazz infused album just flooded my ears and found a home within. Lalah Hathaway, Meshell and Ledisi sing on it. Need I say more? Listen to “Gonna Be Alright” featuring Ledisi as an introduction, then hear Lalah’s “Cherish the Day” and stay for more.
- Lionel Richie – Tuskegee : I bought this on a slow day and found myself loving the country twang on these remakes of his classic songs. What a way to refresh an artist’s catalogue.
- Pitch Perfect Original Movie Soundtrack – Such a great movie and such a fun soundtrack. Since You’ve Been Gone and the Bella’s Finale medley are killer.
- Maroon 5 – Overexposed : Solid Album
- Delta Rae – Carry The Fire: “Bottom of the river” and its video hooked me and “When Tomorrow Comes” made me buy the album and savour it!
- Ella Andell – Bring Down the Power.: While stuck in Piarco Airport for 3 hours waiting for a LIAT flight to Curacao to arrive, I heard this album in its entirety and realised that I have been neglecting the awesomeness of this lady of the soil with a killer voice.
MUSIC – IN PURGATORY
- Frank Ocean – Channel Orange : Because of all the hype surrounding him, I haven’t even taken the wrapper off the album.
- Brandy – Two Eleven: Despite the auto-tuned voice all over this album, I enjoyed a few tracks after it got stuck in now defunct stereo.
- Heather Headley – Only One in the World: I wanted and wished to love this album more than anything else but it felt incomplete for me and just missing her magic. It’s not a bad album just not my favorite from her. “I Wish” still remains a classic song.
MUSIC ALBUMS – WORST
- Macy Gray – Covered (A voice can grate on your ears for so long without causing it to bleed)
- No Doubt – Push and Shove (Right to the back of my music collection! What the hell was this?)
- LMFAO – Sorry For Party Rocking (and for buying this waste of time album even if it was on sale)
- Pitch Perfect
- Life of Pi
- The Avengers
- Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
- 21 Jump Street – still shocked I liked it
- Ted – irreverent and hilarious
- Prometheus – I fell asleep twice trying to watch it
- Total Recall – I recall it not being this much Bovine Excreta! Kate Beckinsale rocked though!
- Rock of Ages –still trying to figure out what went wrong with this movie. Oh Yeah it was a really bad Broadway Show!!
- Dark Shadows! –Ah want meh money back!
- Savages – See Dark Shadows
- Taken 2 – took my money is right
- Tyler Perry movie and actor!! –
- All Adam Sandler releases
- The Expendables 2 – so disappointed in this sequel
SIDE NOTE::Let me just state that I refuse to acknowledge how much I liked Breaking Dawn Part 2 but that was mainly because Bella actually had a personality. Who knew being dead improved her insufferable whorish teenage ways! The Fight scene in the open field is what made me appreciate suffering through all the other awful ones, but I REFUSE to make mention of it on any list!!
- Scandal (Guilty Pleasure) – You can ignore the over-acting and some unbelievable scenarios and just fall into this drama that keeps you on your toes and your heart racing.
- Downton Abbey – brings out the aristocracy in us all. The Dowager Countess Lady Grantham kicks ass!
- Duck Hunters
- The Voice –USA
- New Girl
- Mindy Kaling Project
- Tosh.0 – I cant help but watch this clip show!
Worst – I have given up on you
- True Blood – I don’t know what this season was about but I’m glad it’s over.
- Boardwalk Empire – Errr
- Once Upon A Time – I am lost!
- Grey’s Anatomy – Enough with the Meredith suffering crap!!
- X Factor USA – This show is just awful
This is embarassing but out of the 20 books i purchased over the course of this year, i have only fully read two of them.
- Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan
- Perks of being a Wall Flower – Stephen Chbosky
Both were really good I am also not ashamed to say that the first book is geared towards young adults/teenagers but the writing is so good and takes me back to my love of Greek/Roman Mythology.
Here are the books that I have started but yet to complete:
- NW- Zadie Smith (My fear is that this will be as bad as The Autograph Man)
- The Power of Six- Pittacus Lore (Sequel to I am Number Four)
- The Night Circus – Erin Morgenstern
- Look Who It Is Alan Carr My Story – Alan Car (Very funny but still don’t know why I never picked it back up)
- A Storm of Swords – George RR Martin (I am told it gets really good but I find the pages with Kaleesi to be insufferable and so I keep putting it down)
I would honestly blame my fickle personality to not be able to commit to a book but honestly, there are books from last year i am yet to complete. It took 2 years to finish Midnight’s Children and I still wasn’t over the moon in love with it like most other people were.
Here’s to 2013 and may my focus return so that these lists will make more sense in the future.