This is my first night in my apartment before 10pm in like a month or more.
I have been Stage Managing a play called Rabbit Hole that premiered last weekend at Trinidad Theatre Workshop and runs two the next two weekends….so my time hasn’t been my own. (Shameless PLUG for the Play –RABBIT HOLE TTW)
Anyway, I get here after the gym (no story there) and I put in a CD at random and it turns out to be Jann Arden’s Greatest Hurts. I only came across this artist due to my weird and totally unexplained love for My Best Friend’s Wedding and the fact that her song “You Don’t Know Me” appears on the Soundtrack. Every time I hear the song, it takes me to a pure place of love and understanding.
My pure place lies in the realm of unrequited love. I find that songwriters have a knack for penning some of the most beautiful songs when it comes to this topic.
While she never made a video for it, it is still one sweet sweet song..
No you don’t know the one Who dreams of you at night
And longs to kiss your lips Longs to hold you tight
Oh I am just a friend That’s all I’ve ever been
Cause you don’t know me
Sigh.. How can you not love that song.
It got me thinking of some other songs of unrequited love and that caused me to smile and humm out loud..
- My Eyes Adored You – Franki Valli (I’ve sang this to so many people under my breath)
- I Can’t Make You Love Me – Bonnie Raitt / George Michael (Hits home everytime)
- I’m Confessing – Lizz Wright (Just haunting…..)
- Giving Everything Away For Free – Daniel Merriweather
- I Who Have Nothing – Shirley Bassey/ Jordin Sparks version
- To Make You Feel My Love – Adele/ Kriss Allen (One Day I will sing this in a concert)
- Alone – Heart
- Iris – Goo Goo Dolls (big chune!!)
- On My Own – from Les Miserables (Don’t roll your eyes)
- I Want You – Janet Jackson (she has to be here)
- Constanly – Vanessa Williams (I just keep on thinking of you)
- All I Ever Wanted – Mariah Carey (More than you could ever know..all I ever wanted…is YOU)
- I Wanna Be With You – Mandy Moore (bad memories attached to this but hey)
- I Love You – Sarah MacLachlan (I grieve in my condition for I cannot find the words to say..)
- I Want You – Marvin Gaye (just like buttah)
Well that’s all that came to mind. I know my list is piss poor but me likey it a lot…..
Unrequited love is a unique position. There is no disappointment in it. You love from afar and it makes total sense. Then you get to know the person and start to wish again for the fantasy and then everyone else around around you chimes in after it ends….
.. “Me aint know what you saw in dem, nah. I thought you went mad, oui”